Purpose: Further the positive appreciation and respect for the position of Presidency of The United States of America and our nation’s history.
1. “Membership” is defined as society participants who have portrayed a President once. Membership is not effective until the day after Presidents Day and the participant has no voting rights until membership is effective.
2. The “Presidents” are defined as elected or appointed past and current Presidents of the United State of America. This does not include historical Presidents (Presidents of the Confederacy, The Nation of Texas), US territories or possessions (Puerto Rico, Guam), other nations than the US (France, Spain), or foreign bodies of government (NATO, the EU). Additionally, it does not include US Vice Presidents (unless also President), First Ladies, Cabinet members, daughters, sons, pets, etc.
3. Membership in the President’s Day Society is by invitation only and existing membership must be consulted prior to expansion of the society.
4. There shall be no more than one member portraying a single President. In the event all Presidents are portrayed the existing membership will take vote as to multiple portrayals of a President or other historical figures.
5. The right and responsibility to portray a President is established once a member has portrayed that President a single time. New membership shall not portray already established Presidents without the consent of the member who previously portrayed said President and who is effectively giving away all rights to the previously portrayed President.
6. If a member does not actively carry out their responsibility to portray their chosen President two consecutive years they forfeit the right to portray that President should another member wish to portray them. Said member will also be mocked and teased.
7. No negative portrayals of a President are allowed. The society celebrates the office of the President and is not established to judge that President’s tenure - time will do so. Likewise, it is to be remembered that all Presidents are equal on Presidents Day. First, Founding Father or relative unknown caretaker will share the podium of respect and remembrance.
8. A vote is defined as a verbal majority of the membership or a written vote of all active membership. In the event of a tie, the original three Presidents (George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and Theodore Roosevelt) will break the tie by written vote.
9. Members who fail to successfully enact the portrayal of their chosen President as deemed so by the society will be asked to resign their membership. Level of costume, extreme disorderly drunkenness, tardiness, etc. can constitute a failure to portray the chosen President, unless the chosen President had documented examples of such traits. The decision to ask for resignation requires discussion by the membership body and a vote.
10. Amendments to this document require a vote.
11. The membership shall be comprised solely of men ages 21 or over, irregardless of religion or racial heritage.
12. The Society will follow all existing federal, state, and city laws and admonishes they have no real executive privilege.
Amendment 1 - Franchising- To setup a franchise Presidents Day Society in another city, at least 3 Presidents from the franchisee city must participate in Presidents Day in the founders’ city, adopt The Articles of Portrayal with subsequent amendments, and receive unanimous approval from the founders. Furthermore, the franchise society will have 3 years to increase membership twice-fold or potentially have their sponsorship revoked and is required to release a statement to the press each Presidents Day.
Amendment 2 - Portrayal Rights -In the event more than one party wishes to portray the same President, the right to do so will be decided based on, in order of importance: the point a founder is notified of the desire to portray, seniority of the sponsoring member, and the point of invitation acceptance.
[...] about what the Presidents Day Society is about and what membership entails, head on over to the Official Charter on the official [...]
Leave your response!